Homie is a new Utah real estate startup that is automating much of the process to sell a home in Utah that costs MUCH LESS (as in you, you’re likely to spend less than $1,000 total) than you’d spend on a realtor. In the hot real estate market in the Western states, it’s pretty easy to sell a home without a realtor (whether you do or not is up to you). Right now Homie is only available in Utah. I put on an event with the company and learned more about how they work. To me it’s a little unclear on their website, so hope this helps explain.
If you want to use Homie to sell your home in Utah, you can save even more.
Just use promo code NPG-BLOG and they’ll shave $50 off your setup fee.
Homie Review from Brandie:
Homie is too new for us to have used them to sell a home, but here’s a review from a buyer. My friend just closed on her home using Homie and I’m trying to get her perspective also, but for now, from a seller:
Seriously if you are considering FSBO you want these guys in your pocket. I can’t tell how many realtors called me wanting to sale my house after I had listed it. These guys will eliminate all of those solicitation calls. Also when you need to show your home they can help with that too if you are unavailable, you get your own “homie”. They provide you with a lock box and for sale sign with a unique call in number for your home.
Once a deal has been made you then have access to their real-estate attorney!!! I can not tell you how much I enjoyed using them and felt like I had my own team when dealing with the pushing realtors...sorry if you are a realtor I get you are just doing your job but you can be intimidating.
All in all you want to use these guys if you are going to sale your home. Take all of that commission money you will save and buy yourself something nice for your new
Homie occupies a space between FSBO (for sale by owner) where you’re on your own, and paying a realtor 3-6% of the purchase price. It’s free to buy and $399 month to sell a home on Homie. On both sides they have a lot of services to help you.
Reasons to Sell your Utah Home with Homie:
- You may not have the equity you need to cover the 6% in fees and still make a profit off the sale of your home. You may have purchased near the top of the market but sell in a strong market but not for what you paid for your home. I’ve been in that situation. No one wants to go in the hole. You would use a real estate agent but it’s costly and you just don’t have it to spend.
- You may not want to give up several thousand dollars of your hard-earned equity.
- You might be interested in doing FSBO but don’t want to do it yourself. You would like some additional help. I’d say that close to #1 here is the professional photos that you will get from Homie, which is a huge factor in making a home look more spacious and highlighting it in the best possible light. This helps you get a higher price for your home.
To me it makes sense to find your own home. Most people can find homes for sale by searching online.
I really like that Homie lists two prices on their listings. The with an agent, and the price without an agent. That makes it pretty clear what you’ll save. So why pay a realtor $9,000, not to mention the interest on that amount over a 30 year loan (based on 3% on a $300,000 home)?
7 Essential Things you Need to Sell a Home in Utah:
- A professional lawn sign. If you go cheap on this people mentally take off several thousand dollars from their offer. They immediately think, we’re dealing with amateurs. Homie will install and take down a professional lawn sign.
- A unique and trackable phone number. If you’ve ever sold a home by owner y0u know that you get absolutely inundated by phone calls and visits from realtors who want to sell your home. Homie screens calls for you and only passes along the ones that are legit.
- Professional photos of your home from a Google Trusted photographer. Homie specializes in taking photos of homes so they sell. They are very good at getting the right angles to make every room look its best. To hire a photographer to take photos of an individual house would normally cost $250 – $500.
- A lockbox with a key to your home. Showing a home is often inconvenient. People don’t often show up when they say they will. Plus, if you’re there, potential buyers won’t be as open about what they think about your home. Homie will install a digital lock box on your home so you don’t have to be home when someone wants to see your house.
- An appraisal so you know how to price your home to sell.
- A team of real estate attorneys to work with. With your account, Homie includes up to 2 hours of personal time with their attorney to review your Utah real estate purchase contract and answer legal questions you may have. If you’re buying a home they will draw up the offer letter paperwork for you and handle any counteroffers, free of charge. If you’re selling, it’s included in the cost.
- List your Home on major Utah real estate websites. Homie will list your home on all the major real estate websites and apps including Homie.com, KSL, Zillow, and Trulia. They will also list on the MLS.
How Much Does it Cost to Sell a Home in Utah with Homie?
Homie charges $299 the first month for setup and $99/month after the first month. Buyers do not pay. The company says that most of the time people find the homes they want to see before contacting a realtor. They research everything online. Homie lists Utah homes for sale on their website (with the price to buy using Homie and a separate price if you have your own agent on the buyer’s side), as well as on Zillow, Trulia and KSL Classifieds.
They can list it on the MLS, but advise against it. Today, more people start their home search online with Zillow and other services. The problem with using the Utah MLS is that you’re buying into the old system of selling a home: one with 6% fees. On a $300,000 home that’s about $18,000.
From Homie: Nearly all houses on the MLS require the homeowners to pay agent fees on both the buy and sell side of the transaction (6% of the purchase price). Many Homie users, however have been able to sell without paying any agent fees, or only paying a buyer’s agent if they brought the buyer and a great offer. Our users save an average of $10,000 at closing compared homeowners of similarly-priced homes who paid typical agent fees.
Save $50 on Selling a Utah Home With This Code
If you want to use Homie to sell your home in Utah, you can save even more. Just use my promo code NPG-BLOG – and you will get $50 off the setup fee ($299) when you sell a home with Homie. Enter the promo code at check out. Homie gave me this code to share with my readers and I’m an affiliate having worked with them to educate bloggers about their service. One of our bloggers recently sold their home with Homie.