100 North University Avenue
Provo, Utah 84601
I recently joined a group of Utah bloggers for lunch at a new restaurant by the owners of Pizzeria 712. They gave us a sampler menu of dishes (see this post on the Communal blog for examples of the scrumptious food.) And to appease the FTC, we didn’t pay for it.
My very favorite dish (surprise) was the butterscotch pot de creme (a pudding). I also loved the scallops. But I liked it all.
Why is it called Communal? Because the tables seat groups. You can sit next to anyone. Make new friends. This is eating that builds community.
The chefs Colton Soelberg and Joseph Mcrae have worked in LA, NY and Tree Room at Sundance. Their passion is to bring good food with fresh local ingredients to Utah County. They’re also ambitious — with plans to open over 20 restaurants — each with another focus.
If you are a foodie, here are the chefs favorite cookbooks.
- Any Chez Panisse books
- Zuni Cafe – Judy Rogers
- Sunday Suppers at Luques – Suzanne Goin
- The French Laundry, Bouchon & Under Pressure – Thomas Keller
- Au Pied de Cochon – Martin Picard
- Il Viaggio di Vetri – Mark Vetri
- Think Like a Chef & The Craft of Cooking – Tom Colicchio
Here’s the BEST PART (for you). They’ve agreed to give a $40 gift certificate to readers of this blog.
How can you win?
– Leave a comment on this post with who you’d want to eat at Communal with.
– Picked randomly by comment # using random.org
– Ends Monday Oct 12th at Midnight.
I’ll contact you via email if you’re the winner and add it to your name to the bottom of this post.
UPDATE: Vicki Winteron won the $40 gift certificate. I came to this result by putting 18 (the number of comments) into the web site Random.org. It came up with the #7 – which was the 7th comment, made by Vicki. Congratulations!!
Watch the blog for another contest.